The town of Piera is located in the center of the largest municipality in the region of Anoia. Halfway between Montserrat and the Penedès, it became a key part of the domains of the Viscounts of Barcelona who promoted the occupation of up to six castles.
Over time, however, sandwiched between the baronies of the Conca d’Òdena, in the hands of the Cardonas, and that of Castellvell, in the hands of the Montcada, the counts-kings decided that the space of Piera should be a pillow between the two great Catalan lineages.
This privileged location, at the foot of the Camí Ral d’Aragó and the crossroads between Central Catalonia and the Penedès, made Piera develop as a market of great importance, as well as hosting the main count’s palace in Anoia. .
Guided tours on the first Sunday of each month at 12:00.
Also in arranged visits
To be taken into account when preparing the visit
- Meeting point and start: Carrer de la Plaça, 16 Cal Gareny (Piera Town Hall).
- Access and circulation: easy, with unevenness.
- Clothes and shoes: comfortable.
- Architectural barriers: urban route. Relevant slopes. Cobbled streets.
- Public transport: Ferrocarrils de la Generalitat de Catalunya R6